The more complex the Magento product, the more you will have to edit each and every category and make them unique. This quick brain dump tutorial will show you how.
- Duplicate your existing list.phtml file. Actually make two copies, just to have one unedited backup. /app/design/frontend/default/theme135k/template/catalog/product/list.phtml
- Change the name of the file to anything you want, but honestly just add an underscore and a quick name of the category list_thisCategory.phtml
- Add the following code to the category’s “Custom Design” Tab / “Custom Layout Update” section:
- Now open up your thisCategory.phtml file and begin editing it.
- Any changes you make to that file will only effect the one category. Well unless you added the action method to other categories, but you know what I mean. Have fun…
<reference name="product_list"> <action method="setTemplate"> <template>catalog/product/list_thisCategory.phtml</template> </action> </reference>